Thursday, October 6, 2011

Connecting the dots: What do you see?

This week the world lost Steve Jobs, a pioneer in business, technology and philosophy. Most people probably think of Apple at the mention of his name, I know that I did. I mean, without him we wouldn’t have the iPhone, iPod, Mac, iPad, Pixar and much more in the form that they exist today. However, after watching his commencement speech that he delivered to the Stanford graduating class of 2005 I learned that Mr. Jobs was more then the technologically savvy genius and entrepreneur master that he was. There was even more to him then that (I know, was he Tony Stark in disguise?) Steve Jobs was a motivator even before he could motivate others. He motivated himself to become someone and make something special.


The news channels and morning shows have been frequently airing the attached speech. It is only fifteen minutes long and if you haven’t seen it I highly recommend it. I loved what he had to say about connecting the dots and connecting them looking backwards. If you would have asked me five years ago that I would be working from home. That I would have turned my once on-the-side freelance writing business on the side and that I was published in non-fiction, lecturing and working towards being published in fiction, I would have laughed. But now connecting my dot backwards everything in my life fits to bring me right where I am today. Everything makes perfect sense. From the classes I took in college to every job I’ve held. My time in high school of dancing professionally and teaching even fits into where I am today, I just thought it was fun and paid for my computer at the time. But it was that computer that I began writing on and won my first writing contest with a short story written on its keys. Now my current WIP is based off that Scholastic award-wining story.


As Jobs said, “connect the dots looking backwards.” It’s amazing how so many aspects of my life have led me to writing and I couldn’t be happier to be sitting at my desk in my at-home-office in an Arkansas forest. When I was in high school, my “five year plan” would have been to be working for a prestigious public relations firm in New York City after college. I did that. I interned for Rubenstein and Associates and loved my experience but I wouldn’t change the opportunity that I have now to work on being the author I will be while raising my beautiful baby girl with my wonderful husband.


My 15-month-old loves my iPhone and my Mac Book Pro. She Skypes her Grandfather in Saudi Arabia and her other Grandparents in Texas through my laptop. Technology made possible (the Mac Book not Skype) thanks to Steve Jobs. Mr. Jobs also greatly understood writers and their unique computer needs and desires, for this I am personally grateful. My thoughts go out to his family, friends and the entire Apple corporate family as well.


What do you see when you connect the dots looking backwards?

For books, upcoming classes and speaking engagements visit www.NatalieCMarkey.com


A percentage of the profits from Markey’s ‘Caring for Your Special Needs Dog’ go to The Texas A&M Foundation to the benefit of the Neurology Section, Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinarian Medicine.


Blog Mash-up:


How Life Changes our Outlining Approach by author Natalie C. Markey- I’m guest blogging at Elizabeth Sogard’s blog


Are Writers Entrepreneurs? By author Jami Gold


The Right Way, The Wrong Way, The Smart Way by author Kristen Lamb


2 comments:

  1. Yes, I love this concept! I can see how everything in my life has led me to this point and I feel so blessed, even by the bad things. I wouldn't trade my life for the world. :)

    And thanks for the link love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that the truth? I hated hearing the news about Steve Job's passing but hearing his speech was powerful for me.

    And your blog post are always great Jami so it's easy to share the love!

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete