Friday, February 3, 2012

What does your fiction say about you?

Writing is very personal. I write both non-fiction and fiction. Of course my non-fiction is very straightforward. I’m knowledgeable about dogs and want to help other dog owners. My book Caring for Your Special Needs Dog was inspired because of my dog, Oscar who suffers from epilepsy. I wanted to help other owners of special needs dogs.


Fiction writing is more unique but it too is personable and can share a lot of insight about its author. My young adult novel takes place around and in the ocean. Why did I choose this setting? It’s simple—I love the ocean. My husband and I are SCUBA divers so I can easily write about that setting from my personal experiences.


You might also find it easy to believe that there is a dog in my young adult novel. My YA is a fantasy tale but you can find pieces of the real me throughout it. Writing takes a lot of time, patience and heart so it only makes sense to incorporate yourself in your fictional stories. Plus, it can save you on some research time.


What does your writing say about you?


Announcements:

I will be teaching another class of my Writing Moms: How to do it all without losing your mind Write It Forward Workshop this March. It is a month long workshop focused on busy writing moms, something I know a lot about. Click here for more information.


Who Dares Wins Publishing offers fantastic writing craft and industry Write it Forward Workshops. Be sure and check them all out here.

My book, Caring for Your Special Needs Dog is out and a percentage of the profits go to The Texas A&M Foundation to the benefit of the Neurology Section, Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinarian Medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment